Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Registrars and Hosts and all that...

Just spent some time transferring the .com domain to another host. The main reason being that the current one (enom) whilst free and offering a perfectly good (very good, actually) free & simple web creation tools does not allow me to upload my own pages without paying. I now want to add it to my very spendid and worthwhile GoogleAnalytics account, and use the equally VSAW GoogleAds thing. Hence I just embarked upon the rather irritating and slightly scary process of moving to the new host, which allows lots of nice features for which I am of course paying some money. Some of these can be seen on my sandpit site of MediBlog.biz. Here you can also catch the blog of our poor old deceased cat (Basil) and his far more fortunate half-brother Biggles whose sad tale re-inspired me to get Medys/MediBlog started again.

The experiences of mucking about with the .biz site (PHPNuke, WordPress, etc.) convinced me that a Java based enterprise portal such as JetSpeed was the right way to go for what I have in mind. On the other hand, the PHPNuke site, or better still the TikiWiki application(mediblog.biz/tiki) would have been fantasic(o)-ally great for a small community. Check them out if you need a VERY quick mini-portal. Ultimately though, Liferay wins for a more grown-up solution I think.

[fyi, the very latest cat-blog can be seen at Basil & Biggles's s own Blogger Blog.]

No comments: