Well, not a great deal to report. As usual, all busy. Too busy to do stuff. We decided that we are probably wasting the money on the hosting as the applications are taking too long to come through. In parallel to that we've thought about hosting the development site at home instead and I've been doing some investigation into linux. I bought a 64-bit PC running Ubuntu Linux, to start to get a feel for how that is set up, creating a Linux server at home might appear very Geeky but the other reason for trying it was that it happened to be a bargain in PCWorld - no one wanted to buy it so the whole thing was available for a bargain £200 - 3 Gb RAM, AMD Athlon 64, monitor, mouse, keyboard, the lot. Of course the shop had no clue what to do with it either so the first task on getting it home was to figure out how to get the admin user to work. It turned out that there was a bug in the OS with which the PC was delivered: 32-bit Ubuntu Desktop 8.04, Hardy Heron that prevented me performing admin functions until the system hooked up to the internet and downloaded the latest fixes. So after a couple of days of downloading software updates it all worked perfectly and I've managed to get the Glassfish AS working. Next step is Liferay and MyEclipse, and then re-install the whole thing on 64bit Ubuntu Server 9.04 on a LAN here at home.
Or I could watch TV or play some music (which might be a little less sad for a man of my age).
Saturday, September 19, 2009
Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)